Carlisle in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Site of Revolutionary War Forge
On this spot once stood a forge used by artillery artificers in the manufacturing of cannon and shot for the Continental Army during the Revolutionary War. Carlisle Barracks, then known as Washingtonburg, was a facility of the public works and served as a primary source for ordinance material during the period 1778-1781.
Location. 40° 12.6′ N, 77° 10.653′ W. Marker is in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, in Cumberland County. Marker is at the intersection of Ashburn Drive and Lovell Avenue, on the right when traveling east on Ashburn Drive. The marker is on the grounds of Carlisle Barracks. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Carlisle PA 17013, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Upton Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Thorpe Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Washington Hall (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); To Commemorate the First Home of the "Mobile Arm" (about 400 feet away); Dragoon Circle (about 400 feet away); Richard Henry Pratt Army Medical Department Memorial (about 600 feet away); Wheelock Bandstand (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Carlisle.
Categories. • War, US Revolutionary •
More. Search the internet for Site of Revolutionary War Forge.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 25, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 25, 2018, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. This page has been viewed 63 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 25, 2018, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.