Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Orange Beach in Baldwin County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Orange Beach Municipal Complex

 
 
Orange Beach Municipal Complex Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, August 22, 2018
1. Orange Beach Municipal Complex Marker
Inscription.  The community of Orange Beach goes back to at least 1838, as evidenced by property deeds. As an incorporated city, it is quite young. Following Hurricane Frederic on September 12, 1979, with all its publicity, Orange Beach was 'discovered'! The building boom was on–houses, marinas, and restaurants, sprang up. The first condominiums were built in 1984. With this sudden expansion, it was evident that local control and guidelines were needed. By August 1984, citizens voted to incorporate. An election for a Mayor and City Council was held and officials were sworn in October 15, 1984. Orange Beach became a city with 1,010 official residents and operated out of a room in the Community Center.

John and Marjorie Snook, owners of Gulf Telephone Company and landowners here since the 1950s, donated five acres for a municipal complex on Hwy 161. The City of Orange Beach moved into the complex in September of 1988.

Reverse

Electric Service was brought to Orange Beach in 1948. In 1956, John M. Snook developed the first wireless telephone system in the United States utilizing
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
in-home hand-held phones that were transmitted to Gulf Telephones' switching system in Foley from a 113-foot tower in Orange Beach. The old bricks of the tower can still be seen across Hwy 161 from the City Complex.

The Orange Beach Volunteer Fire Department was established in 1961. January 1974 brought a Public Water service to the area. Sewer service began in 1982 and local Police protection began in May of 1985. The U.S. Post Office moved into its new building in 1987. Marjorie Snook Park was dedicated in October 1999 and the 1910 School House was moved there to become The Indian and Sea Museum. The main access road into the complex was named John M. Snook Drive. Today, the complex consists of City Hall, most city offices, and the U.S. Post office.
 
Erected 2017 by the City of Orange Beach and the Baldwin County Historic Development Commission AL200.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommercePolitical SubdivisionsSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is January 19, 1974.
 
Location. 30° 17.049′ N, 87° 34.882′ W. Marker is in Orange Beach, Alabama, in Baldwin County. Marker is at the intersection of Orange Beach Boulevard (Alabama Route 161) and John M Snook Drive, on the right when
Orange Beach Municipal Complex Marker (reverse) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, August 22, 2018
2. Orange Beach Municipal Complex Marker (reverse)
traveling south on Orange Beach Boulevard. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4099 Orange Beach Boulevard, Orange Beach AL 36561, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Orange Beach, Alabama (approx. 0.7 miles away); Bay Circle (approx. ¾ mile away); Perdido Pass (approx. 1.6 miles away); Romar Beach (approx. 3 miles away); Orange Beach Community Cemetery (approx. 3.7 miles away); Tampary (approx. 3.8 miles away in Florida); Josephine (approx. 4.1 miles away); Daphne United Methodist Church (approx. 6.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Orange Beach.
 
View from marker of the Orange Beach City Hall. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, August 22, 2018
3. View from marker of the Orange Beach City Hall.
Orange Beach Municipal Complex sign. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, August 22, 2018
4. Orange Beach Municipal Complex sign.
View across road to remnants of brick tower mentioned on marker. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, August 22, 2018
5. View across road to remnants of brick tower mentioned on marker.
Second portion can be seen just to right of real estate sign.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 26, 2018. It was originally submitted on August 26, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 536 times since then and 119 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 26, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=122462

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 25, 2024