Pascagoula in Jackson County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
3603 Frederic Street
— Pascagoula Historic Pathway —
Valsin DeJean owned and operated his family business which was located on nearby Krebs Avenue. Founded by his father, the name of the business was DeJean and Mitchell General Mercantile and Ship Chandlery. It was one of the largest businesses developed in this bustling Pascagoula district which was both commercial and residential. Valsin DeJean also served as the City of Pascagoula's Commissioner of Finance from 1919 to 1940 and 1945 to 1953.
Included on the National Register of Historic Places in 1993 largely through the efforts of a daughter, Julia-Mae DeJean, the house remains property of the DeJean family.
Erected by Pascagoula Historic Preservation Society, City of Pascagoula. (Marker Number 5.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1906.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3603 Frederic Street, Pascagoula MS 39567, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Orange Avenue Historic District (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. Joseph A. Tabor House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Captain H.H. Colle House (about 300 feet away); Pascagoula River Basin Ecosystem (approx. 0.2 miles away); Scranton's (approx. ¼ mile away); Round Island Lighthouse (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named Round Island Lighthouse (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named Round Island Lighthouse (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pascagoula.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 26, 2018. It was originally submitted on August 26, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 273 times since then and 108 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 26, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.