Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Greenfield in Highland County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The C.R. Patterson & Sons Company

 
 
The C.R.Patterson & Sons Company Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Rev. Ronald Irick, August 14, 2018
1. The C.R.Patterson & Sons Company Marker
side A
Inscription.  
Side A
The factory of the C. R. Patterson & Sons Company once stood near here at 138 N. Washington Street. Established in the mid-nineteenth century by the black businessman Charles Richard (C. R.) Patterson and his white partner, J. P. Lowe, the business, originally known as J. P. Lowe & Company, became a successful carriage firm. Patterson became the sole owner in 1893 and changed the name to C. R. Patterson & Sons. After succeeding his father as owner, C. R.'s son, Frederick, became the first known African-American automobile manufacturer. Under his leadership, the company transitioned from building carriages to automobiles, then to trucks and buses to keep up with the changing demands of the transportation industry.

Side B
Frederick had achieved success in other areas as well. He was the first black student to attend Greenfield High School. At Ohio State University, Frederick broke the school color barrier for sports in 1891 when he played on the football team. He was also voted president of the class of 1893. Frederick was instrumental in the development of the Negro Business League, serving as a vice-president

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
under Booker T. Washington for several years. In 1924, he became the first black delegate to represent Ohio at the Republican National Convention. The Patterson Company passed through three generations of the family. In 1939, a series of factors, including the Great Depression, finally caused them to lock the factory doors, closing their unique chapter in history.
 
Erected 2014 by The Historical Society of Greenfield, Ohio Southern Hills Community Bank Shorter Chapel A. M. E. Church The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 7-36.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansIndustry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list.
 
Location. 39° 21.131′ N, 83° 23.001′ W. Marker is in Greenfield, Ohio, in Highland County. Marker is on North Washington Street (Ohio Route 753), on the left when traveling north. Marker is on the lawn of the Southern Hills Community Bank. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 132 N Washington St, Greenfield OH 45123, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Corner Pharmacy (within shouting distance of this marker); Greenfield, Ohio, Timeline (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct
The C.R.Patterson & Sons Company Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Rev. Ronald Irick, August 14, 2018
2. The C.R.Patterson & Sons Company Marker
side B
line); World War I Memorial (about 300 feet away); War Memorial (about 400 feet away); Smith Tannery (approx. ¼ mile away); B&O and DT&I Railroad Depots (approx. ¼ mile away); Travellers Rest Inn (approx. ¼ mile away); Edward Lee McClain High School (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greenfield.
 
The C.R.Patterson & Sons Company Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Rev. Ronald Irick, August 14, 2018
3. The C.R.Patterson & Sons Company Marker
full view of marker
The C.R.Patterson & Sons Company Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Rev. Ronald Irick, August 14, 2018
4. The C.R.Patterson & Sons Company Marker
marker as seen from across Washington Street
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 27, 2018. It was originally submitted on August 26, 2018, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 485 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 26, 2018, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=122482

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 15, 2024