Marksville in Avoyelles Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Holy Ghost Catholic School
Founded by Rev. Fr. Nicholas Juderman as a school for Black Catholic children. Land donated by Daughters of the Cross. Funding obtained from Mother Katherine Drexel, founder of the Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament. Opened in 1917. First staffed by the Daughters of the Cross.
Erected by City Of Marksville.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Churches & Religion • Education. In addition, it is included in the Louisiana, Marksville Historical Markers Driving Tour series list.
Location. 31° 7.479′ N, 92° 3.787′ W. Marker is in Marksville, Louisiana, in Avoyelles Parish. Marker is on East Mark Street west of South Preston Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 322 East Mark Street, Marksville LA 71351, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Holy Ghost Catholic Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Congregational First Baptist Church (about 300 feet away); a different marker Holy Ghost Catholic Church (about 400 feet away); Marksville "Colored" School Site (about 500 feet away); Marksville Masonic Lodge Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Auguste Voinche Store (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lewis P. Roy, Sr. Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); J. Horace Ducote Law Office (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marksville.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 26, 2018. It was originally submitted on August 26, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 422 times since then and 128 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 26, 2018.