Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Newbury in Geauga County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

South Newbury Union Chapel

 
 
South Newbury Union Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Wintermantel, August 31, 2018
1. South Newbury Union Chapel Marker
Inscription.  Side A
Called the "Cradle of Equal Suffrage" and "Free Speech Chapel," Union Chapel was to be "...open and free for all denominations, but to be monopolized by no one or to the exclusion of anyone." Built in 1858 or 1859 on land donated by Anson Matthews, the chapel reputedly exists in response to incident triggered by James A. Garfield, then principal of the Western Reserve Eclectic Institute (now Hiram College) and later president of the United States. He was scheduled to speak at the Congregationists' "Brick Church" in December 1857. Because of the supposed controversial nature of Garfield's speech, however, the invitation was withdrawn. (Continued on other side)

Side B
(Continued from other side) Outraged citizens built Union Chapel in response. Fulfilling its mission, the chapel welcomed groups crusading for many causes in late 19th century America, including women's dress reform and temperance. One of the most active groups at the chapel was the Newbury Woman's Suffrage Political Club, founded in January 1874. The chapel was the club's meeting place and the site of lectures by Susan B. Anthony and Harriet
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Taylor Upton, leaders in the woman's suffrage movement. The chapel also hosted singing schools, plays, and other social, religious, and political gatherings.
 
Erected 2010 by Union Chapel Trustees, Geauga Park District, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 13-28.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionGovernment & Politics. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1874.
 
Location. 41° 26.284′ N, 81° 12.466′ W. Marker is in Newbury, Ohio, in Geauga County. Marker is on Ravenna Road (Ohio Route 44) 0.3 miles north of Bell Road (Local Route 10), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newbury OH 44065, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. This Tablet Marks the Site of Union Chapel (here, next to this marker); Welcome To Burton's Historic District (approx. 3.9 miles away); Century Building (approx. 3.9 miles away); The Burton Village Historic District (approx. 3.9 miles away); The Hickox Brick (approx. 3.9 miles away); Under This Penstock Base
South Newbury Union Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Wintermantel, August 31, 2018
2. South Newbury Union Chapel Marker
(approx. 4 miles away); The Second High School / The Burton Public Library (approx. 4 miles away); Burton (approx. 4 miles away).
 
South Newbury Union Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Wintermantel, August 31, 2018
3. South Newbury Union Chapel Marker
South Newbury Union Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Wintermantel, August 31, 2018
4. South Newbury Union Chapel Marker
South Newbury Union Chapel image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Wintermantel, August 31, 2018
5. South Newbury Union Chapel
This Property has been placed on the
National Register of Historic Places
By the United States Department of the Interior
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 1, 2018. It was originally submitted on September 1, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 395 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 1, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=122751

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 23, 2024