Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Burton in Geauga County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Burton, Ohio-First Permanent Settlement in Geauga County / The Village Green

 
 
Burton, Ohio-First Permanent Settlement in Geauga County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Wintermantel, August 31, 2018
1. Burton, Ohio-First Permanent Settlement in Geauga County Marker
Inscription.  Side A
In 1796, surveyors for the Connecticut Land Company designated an area five miles square surrounding this place as Range 7, Township 7 of the Connecticut Western Reserve. A landowner's expedition on June 15, 1798, arrived at the northwest corner of the township. One of its members, Thomas Umberfield (Umberville) brought his family to the center of the township (now Burton Village) on June 21, 1798. Here they built the first home, a simple log cabin located southwest of the spring at the end of Spring Street. The owner of the largest parcel of land in the township, Titus Street, was given the honor of naming the township. He named it after his son, Burton.

Side B
In early Connecticut villages, the Village Green was surrounded by churches, the town hall, and prominent houses. The green was the common land to be used by the people of the township. When settlers arrived in the Connecticut Western Reserve, they chose the same pattern for their villages. This Village Green, platted on July 10, 1798, was given by the original landowners as a gift to the Township of Burton on October 5, 1803. Some of the early
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
uses of the Village Green in Burton have been to serve as a common pasturing area for farm animals, drilling area for the local militia, place for Independence Day celebrations, site for early agricultural exhibitions, and for maple sugaring. At different times, the school, church, and town hall were located on this green.
 
Erected 2008 by Burton Historic District Association and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 9-28.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Places. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical date for this entry is June 15, 1798.
 
Location. 41° 28.346′ N, 81° 8.724′ W. Marker is in Burton, Ohio, in Geauga County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of West Park Street and Main Street. Marker is located in the northwest end of the Village Green. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Burton OH 44021, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Civil War Cannon (here, next to this marker); Burton War Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Burton Congregational Church (a few steps from this marker); In Commemoration of Rev. Joseph Badger (within shouting distance of this marker); Erected to the Memory of the Soldiers of the American Revolution
The Village Green Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Wintermantel, August 31, 2018
2. The Village Green Marker
(within shouting distance of this marker); The Second High School / The Burton Public Library (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Century Building (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Burton (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Burton.
 
Also see . . .  Village of Burton. (Submitted on September 1, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
 
Burton, Ohio-First Permanent Settlement in Geauga County / The Village Green Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Wintermantel, August 31, 2018
3. Burton, Ohio-First Permanent Settlement in Geauga County / The Village Green Marker
Burton, Ohio-First Permanent Settlement in Geauga County / The Village Green Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Wintermantel, August 31, 2018
4. Burton, Ohio-First Permanent Settlement in Geauga County / The Village Green Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 1, 2018. It was originally submitted on September 1, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 272 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 1, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=122760

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 24, 2024