Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Burton in Geauga County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Second High School / The Burton Public Library

 
 
The Second High School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Wintermantel, August 31, 2018
1. The Second High School Marker
Inscription.  Side A
The Second High School
This Queen Anne style building with segmental-arched windows and steep hipped roof was Burton's second high school. Completed in 1885 at a cost of $12,500, it is wood framed with a brick and stone exterior, modeled after an academy in River Falls, Wisconsin. Its basement and two upper floors contained 12,720 square feet of space, enough for all twelve grades. There were two separate entrances; girls entered on the left and boys on the right. Electricity was installed in 1921 by the superintendent and students. Classes met here until 1936. During its history, the building housed various organizations, including the Red Cross, Opportunity School of Geauga County (later Metzenbaum), Geauga County Historical Society, American Legion, and County Extension Office. In 1937, it became the home of the Burton Public Library and in 1983 was expanded with a north wing designed to be architecturally consistent with the original 1885 structure.

Side B
The Burton Public Library
The Burton Public Library was established in 1910 by the Civic Improvement Society, a group
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
of Burton women dedicated to the betterment of the Burton community. The Society held a community "book shower" that provided 567 volumes to begin the collection. Library membership was one dollar a year. It became a free library in 1912 when public funding was secured. The collection moved to various locations in the village until 1936 when the Civic Improvement Society relinquished responsibility to a library board of trustees appointed by the Burton Township school board. In 1937, it moved to its current location assisted by the Burton Chamber of Commerce. The Library remains an independent institution serving the Berkshire School District, which includes Troy, Claridon, and Burton Townships and Burton Village.
 
Erected 2009 by Burton Public Library and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 12-28.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureEducation. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1885.
 
Location. 41° 28.304′ N, 81° 8.755′ W. Marker is in Burton, Ohio, in Geauga County. Marker is on West Park Street, 0.1 miles south of Spring Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Burton OH 44021, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers
The Burton Public Library Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Wintermantel, August 31, 2018
2. The Burton Public Library Marker
are within walking distance of this marker. Century Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Erected to the Memory of the Soldiers of the American Revolution (within shouting distance of this marker); In Commemoration of Rev. Joseph Badger (within shouting distance of this marker); Burton Congregational Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Burton, Ohio-First Permanent Settlement in Geauga County / The Village Green (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Burton War Memorial (about 300 feet away); Civil War Cannon (about 300 feet away); Under This Penstock Base (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Burton.
 
The Second High School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Wintermantel, August 31, 2018
3. The Second High School Marker
The Second High School / The Burton Public Library Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Wintermantel, August 31, 2018
4. The Second High School / The Burton Public Library Marker
The Second High School sign image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Wintermantel, August 31, 2018
5. The Second High School sign
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 1, 2018. It was originally submitted on September 1, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 213 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 1, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=122774

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 20, 2024