Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Huntsburg in Geauga County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

First Congregational Church of Claridon UCC

 
 
First Congregational Church of Claridon UCC Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Wintermantel, August 31, 2018
1. First Congregational Church of Claridon UCC Marker
Side A
Inscription.  Side A
The First Congregational Church of Claridon has served the community since it was dedicated in the summer of 1832. Twenty-seven souls from the Burton Congregational Church petitioned to form their own church in Claridon in November 1827, and their request was granted the following month. In 1830, a committee made up of Cotton Kellogg, Chester Treat, and Asa Cowles contracted with John Talbot and Rufus Hurlburt to build the church. When “sledding” came during the winter of 1831, logs were hauled to Cotton Kellogg’s sawmill to be cut into lumber. (Continued on other side)

Side B
(Continued from other side) In the spring of 1831, the church’s foundation stones were brought from Timothy Wells’ quarry and put into place. Rev. Luther “Priest” Humphrey donated the “Handsome Whitewood” tree from his land to the church. It is believed that its wood was used for the wainscoting and the backs of the pews. In 1955, the church was lifted from its foundation and a basement excavated underneath it. In 1966, the sanctuary was rebuilt. The church was placed on the National Register
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
of Historic Places in 1974 as an outstanding example of Greek Revival style architecture.
 
Erected 2011 by Family of Phyllis Blaser Kopke and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 14-28.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical month for this entry is November 1827.
 
Location. 41° 31.94′ N, 81° 8.584′ W. Marker is in Huntsburg, Ohio, in Geauga County. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 13942 Mayfield Road, Huntsburg OH 44046, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Great Geauga County Fair (approx. 3.8 miles away); Welton Cemetery (approx. 4 miles away); Civil War Cannon (approx. 4.1 miles away); Burton, Ohio-First Permanent Settlement in Geauga County / The Village Green (approx. 4.1 miles away); Burton War Memorial (approx. 4.1 miles away); Burton Congregational Church (approx. 4.1 miles away); In Commemoration of Rev. Joseph Badger (approx. 4.2 miles away); Erected to the Memory of the Soldiers of the American Revolution (approx. 4.2 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  First Congregational Church of Claridon United Church of Christ
First Congregational Church of Claridon UCC Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Wintermantel, August 31, 2018
2. First Congregational Church of Claridon UCC Marker
Side B
. (Submitted on September 1, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
 
First Congregational Church of Claridon UCC Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Wintermantel, August 31, 2018
3. First Congregational Church of Claridon UCC Marker
Side B
First Congregational Church of Claridon UCC Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Wintermantel, August 31, 2018
4. First Congregational Church of Claridon UCC Marker
Side A
First Congregational Church of Claridon UCC Local Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Wintermantel, August 31, 2018
5. First Congregational Church of Claridon UCC Local Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 1, 2018. It was originally submitted on September 1, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 211 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 1, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=122786

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 25, 2024