Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Houston in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Houston Heights

 
 
Houston Heights Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, September 3, 2018
1. Houston Heights Marker
Inscription.  Representatives of the American Loan and Trust Company of Omaha, Nebraska, came to Houston in 1890 to scout locations for land development. Under the leadership of O.M. Carter, D.D. Cooley, and others, company directors purchased 1,756 acres of land northwest of Houston. They led efforts to electrify Houston's streetcar system in 1891 and extended the lines to their new community, named Houston Heights due to its elevation 23 feet above that of downtown Houston.

Directors of the Omaha and South Texas Land Company, formed by American Loan and Trust in 1892, developed streets, sidewalks, and utility systems; built and marketed homes; and encouraged the establishment of business and industry in Houston Heights. The city of Houston Heights was incorporated in 1896, and W.G. Love served as first mayor. He was followed in that office by John A. Milroy, David Barker, Robert F. Isbell, and J.B. Marmion.

Seeking a broader tax base with which to support their public schools, voters of Houston Heights agreed to annexation by the city of Houston in 1918. Houston Heights grew rapidly in the 20th century, but continued to maintain its
Houston Heights Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, September 3, 2018
2. Houston Heights Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
unique identity. It remains a distinctive neighborhood with many historic structures.
 
Erected 1991 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10695.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1890.
 
Location. 29° 46.631′ N, 95° 23.841′ W. Marker is in Houston, Texas, in Harris County. Marker is at the intersection of Heights Boulevard and Katy Freeway Service Road (Frontage Interstate 10 Frontage Road), in the median on Heights Boulevard. Marker is located in a small park situated in the median of Heights Boulevard. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3620 Katy Freeway, Houston TX 77007, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Olivewood Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Damascus Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Houston Cemetery Company (approx. 0.9 miles away); William Gammell (approx. 0.9 miles away); Eugene Thomas Heiner (approx. one mile away); Ellis Benson (approx. one mile away); James Robert Cade (approx. one mile away); Caspar Braun (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Houston.
 
Also see . . .  Houston Heights, TX - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on September 4, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.)
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 5, 2018. It was originally submitted on September 4, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 142 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 4, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=122957

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 17, 2021