Gallipolis in Gallia County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
“City of the Gauls” / 1861–1865
Begun as a land speculation project of William Duer, the Scioto Company had hoped to encourage European investors to purchase lands in its grant in the Ohio country. The project proved especially attractive to the French middle class, who were just beginning to feel the effects of the French Revolution. Hundreds invested their money hoping to find security and prosperity in their new homes. Upon their arrival in the United States they found that the deeds they had purchased were worthless, since the Scioto Company had not paid for the land they bought.
The disillusioned French settlers left Alexandria, Va., on June 29. 1790, on their journey to the Ohio country. The new settlers were unadapted to the hardships of frontier life since many of them were noblemen, doctors, army officers, manufacturers, tradesmen, and lawyers. They continued to live in the formal French manner to which they were accustomed. Common sense and the application of their trades, however, helped them to establish, a thriving river trade in a short time. By the end of 1790 there were between 300 and 400 Frenchmen in the settlement. Today, the
Its location and the tides of war established Gallipolis, then a town of some 3,000, as a point of strategic military importance to the Union upon the outbreak of the conflict in 1861. It was destined during the next four years to play a role without counterpart in Ohio.
☆☆ Here through this troop concentration area passed thousands of soldiers to the great campaigns.
☆☆ Here the traditional peacetime activity of the town, long a depot of supplies for the Kanawha Valley, was turned to military purposes for maintaining armies in the field.
☆☆ Here riverside warehouses held vast military stores to be transported by steamboat.
☆☆ Here newly-mustered troops set up Camp Carrington in a wheat field on the upper side of town.
☆☆ Here the women of Gallipolis helped minister to thousands of wounded and sick in an army hospital.
Erected by The Ohio Historical Markers Committee. (Marker Number 1-27.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical date for this entry is June 29, 1790.
Location. 38° 48.429′ N, 82° 12.375′ W. Marker is in Gallipolis, Ohio, in Gallia County. Marker is on 2nd Street (Ohio Route 7) south of State Street, on the left when traveling south. It is at the public square (City Park), at the mid-block pedestrian crosswalk. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gallipolis OH 45631, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Gallipolis Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Yellow Fever Victims (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); High Water Marks (about 300 feet away); Gallia County Veterans Memorial (about 300 feet away); World War I Memorial (about 300 feet away); 1790 - Gallipolis - 1940 (about 400 feet away); The Landing of the Welsh in Gallipolis (about 400 feet away); Gallia County, Gallipolis and the Ohio River (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gallipolis.
Also see . . . Wikipedia entry. “‘The French 500’ were a group of French aristocrats and merchants who were fleeing the French Revolution. They were led by Count Jean-Joseph de Barth, an Alsatian member of the French National Assembly.” ... “At that time Gallipolis was pure (Submitted on September 5, 2018.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 2, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 5, 2018, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 307 times since then and 84 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on September 5, 2018, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.