Ringgold in Catoosa County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Stone Church And Catoosa Station
Chickamauga Campaign Heritage Trail
The coming of the Western and Atlantic Railroad and the construction of an impressive stone depot in 1849 had a great influence on the growing economy of Ringgold and the surrounding area. A second station or platform was constructed just south of the gap named "Catoosa Station," to serve the nearby summer resorts of Catoosa Springs and Cherokee Springs.
In September, 1863, elements of General Nathan Bedford Forrest's cavalry patrolled Ringgold. On September 11, 1863 Federal forces from Van Cleve's Division of the 21st Army Corps of the Army of the Cumberland invaded Ringgold from the west. At the same time, Colonel John T. Wilders mounted Infantry Brigade invaded from the north. They were pushed back by Forrest, who also had the railroad bridge over the creek at Ringgold Gap destroyed. Because the railroad bridge was burned, the trains coming to Ringgold could get no further than Catoosa Station, south of the gap.
On September 17th, the Federals again came to
Steedman, as Van Cleve had earlier, met pickets from Forrests cavalry who were still guarding the road at Ringgold. After a brief exchange of fire, the Confederates withdrew to Ringgold. Steedmans troops followed, and as soon as they got over the creek they placed their artillery on the same hill that Van Cleves gunners had used earlier. They fired a number of shells into Ringgold, causing a lengthy Confederate Army wagon train to retire in confusion through the gap.
The cannon fire alerted Confederate infantry regiments that were in camp in the southeastern end of the gap. Unknown to the Federals, massive reinforcements for Bragg's army had been coming by train from Virginia and Mississippi. The cannon fire brought an instant Confederate attack through the gap against the invaders. This movement, Lieutenant Colonel R. B. Snowden, commanding the 27th Tennessee
During the next two days there were thousands of Confederate soldiers passing through Ringgold coming from Catoosa Station, they passed through the gap, through Ringgold and continued on the fight in the greaat Battle of Chickamauga.
Erected by Chickamauga Campaign Heritage Trail.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Chickamauga Campaign Heritage Trail marker series.
Location. 34° 54.379′ N, 85° 4.64′ W. Marker is in Ringgold, Georgia, in Catoosa County. Marker is at the intersection of Chattanooga Road (Route 41) and Catoosa Parkway, on the right when traveling north on Chattanooga Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ringgold GA 30736, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Stone Church (here, next to this marker); Trail of Tears Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Stone Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Federal Road (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cherokee Springs Confederate Hospital Catoosa Springs Confederate Hospitals (approx. 1.4 miles away); Confederate General Patrick Cleburne's Emancipation Proposal (approx. 1½ miles away); General Patrick R. Cleburne Memorial (approx. 1½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ringgold.
More about this marker. Chickamauga Campaign Heritage Trail, Army of Tennessee site #16
Also see . . . The official Chickamauga Campaign Trail Website. (Submitted on October 1, 2008, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Railroads & Streetcars • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for Stone Church And Catoosa Station.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 1, 2008, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia. This page has been viewed 2,520 times since then and 6 times this year. Last updated on October 10, 2008, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on October 1, 2008, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.