Springfield in Sangamon County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Departure Point of The Donner Party
departure point of
the Donner Party
on April 15, 1846
for their ill-fated
trip to California.
Erected 1957 by WaBose Society, Children of the American Revolution.
Location. 39° 48.028′ N, 89° 38.919′ W. Marker is in Springfield, Illinois, in Sangamon County. Marker is on East Adams Street west of 6th Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Springfield IL 62701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Abraham Lincoln - Eighth Judicial District (a few steps from this marker); 1859-1911 (a few steps from this marker); President-Elect Abraham Lincoln (a few steps from this marker); Soldiers of the American Revolution (a few steps from this marker); Soldiers of the War of 1812 (a few steps from this marker); Potawatomi Trail of Death (a few steps from this marker); Lincoln's Dentist (a few Curran's Jewelry Shop (a few steps from this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Springfield.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Donner Party Markers at both ends of their trail.
Also see . . .
1. The Donner Party. Pictures, map, and an interesting history of the Donner Party. Follow the many hot buttons.... (Submitted on October 12, 2008, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.)
2. Donner Party Diary. (Submitted on October 13, 2008.)
3. New Light on the Donner Party. Comprehensive web site with biographical, genealogical, and documentary resources. See "Myths and Mysteries" page for a discussion of the date on this marker. (Submitted on October 13, 2008.)
4. Tour the Old State Capitol. A 360 Degree tour that you control to view Lincoln Square and other areas. (Submitted on October 13, 2008, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.)
5. Trail of Tragedy: The Excavation of the Donner Party Site. A video of a United States Forest Service historical "dig" at a suspected "Donner Party" camp site. (Submitted on March 5, 2009, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.)
Categories. • Disasters • Exploration • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Departure Point of The Donner Party.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 7, 2019. This page originally submitted on October 10, 2008, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 2,545 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 10, 2008, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.