Rome in Floyd County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The alley, donated to the city by Mr. Nevin was officially declared a city thoroughfare so that the performers, stagehands and suppliers might enter and leave the opera house without having to pass through the box office and parquet sections.
Until the early 1900's, it was Rome's principle center of entertainment, ranging from the Dresden, Boston and New York symphonies to local productions.
Fire totally destroyed the opera house in the early morning hours of December 31, 1919.
The arch designed by Tom Spector, A.I.A.
Erected by Rome Area Heritage Foundation and descendants of M.A. Nevin.
Location. 34° 15.262′ N, 85° 10.345′ W. Marker is in Rome, Georgia, in Floyd County. Marker is on Broad Street, on the right when traveling west. Between 3rd and 4th Streets. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rome GA 30161, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured Floyd County (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ellen Louise Axson Wilson (approx. 0.4 miles away); Georgia’s Paul Revere (approx. 0.4 miles away); Davis’ March to Rome (approx. 0.6 miles away); French’s Div. at Rome (approx. 0.6 miles away); Federal Occupation of Rome (approx. 0.6 miles away); De Soto In Georgia (approx. 0.6 miles away); Chieftains (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rome.
Also see . . . Rome Georgia History. An article about Rome, Ga. with a picture of the opera house during the flood of 1886. (Submitted on October 10, 2008, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia.)
Categories. • Architecture • Arts, Letters, Music • Entertainment • Roads & Vehicles •
More. Search the internet for Opera Alley.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 3, 2020. This page originally submitted on October 10, 2008, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,426 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 10, 2008, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.