Mt. Pulaski in Logan County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Mt. Pulaski Court House
Mt. Pulaski served as the seat of Logan County from 1848 to 1853. The First County Court was at Postville, now part of Lincoln, Illinois. In 1848 Logan County voters approved the removal of the Court from Postville to Mt. Pulaski. Local citizens raised $2,700 toward the construction of this building. Among those attending Court here were Abraham Lincoln, Stephen Douglas, Lyman Trumbull, and David Davis. In 1853 the county seat was moved by legislation to Lincoln. The Mt. Pulaski Court House was then used as a schoolhouse, later as the City Hall, and finally as the Post Office. The State of Illinois acquired the building in 1936.
Erected 1979 by Illinois Department of Conservation and the Illinois State Historical Society.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Communications • Government & Politics. In addition, it is included in the Illinois State Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1848.
Location. 40° 0.543′ N, 89° 17.097′ W. Marker is in Mt. Pulaski, IllinoisTouch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mount Pulaski IL 62548, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Circuit Court Stop (a few steps from this marker); Lincoln's Law Practice (a few steps from this marker); Abraham Lincoln - Eighth Judicial District (within shouting distance of this marker); Bi-Plane - Train Race 1910 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Pig Hip Restaurant (approx. 9.4 miles away); a different marker also named Abraham Lincoln - Eighth Judicial District (approx. 9.7 miles away); Lincoln's Elkhart Connection (approx. 9.9 miles away); Elkhart Cemetery (approx. 9.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mt. Pulaski.
Also see . . . Inside Mt. Pulaski Court House. Mt. Pulaski Historic Courthouse website entry (Submitted on October 17, 2008, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 8, 2022. It was originally submitted on October 10, 2008, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 1,353 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 10, 2008, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.