Auburn in Placer County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Placer County Courthouse
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Landmarks • Notable Buildings. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1868.
Location. 38° 53.808′ N, 121° 4.576′ W. Marker is in Auburn, California, in Placer County. Marker is at the intersection of Maple Street and Lincoln Way, on the right when traveling east on Maple Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 Maple Street, Auburn CA 95603, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Brye House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Auburn Native Sons Hall (about 500 feet away); First Placer County Hospital (about 500 feet away); Lawyers Row (about 600 feet away); Old Masonic Hall Erected 1860 (about 600 feet away); G. Willment General Store (about 600 feet away); Gold Bug Stamp MillGold Discovered Just Downstream in Auburn Ravine! - Why Daylight North Rich Ravine? (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Auburn.
Regarding Placer County Courthouse. Currently the 1st floor houses a museum displaying exibits on Auburn Ravine and Placer County Government history.
1. From the Placer County Courthouse Museum Brochure:
Three courthouses have served Placer County. The first, a canvas and wood structure, with a nearby jail built of logs. In 1852 the Court of Sessions ordered a new courthouse to be built. This building was a wood frame building with plaster walls. A bell tower called jurors to duty and sounded the fire alarm. The jail remained at its old site until it burned in June, 1855. Later that year a two-story brick jail was built next to the new courthouse. An iron cat walk connected the upstairs of the jail building to the courthouse. In 1893, after forty years, the courthouse had deteriorated to the point of needing replacement. Setting of the cornerstone of the new and third courthouse was placed on July 4, 1894. A copper box, placed under the cornerstone by local officials,
At the dedication ceremony, Judge J.E. Prewitt eulogized the merits of the new edifice:
— Submitted October 10, 2008, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.
Additional keywords. Courthouses
Credits. This page was last revised on January 17, 2022. It was originally submitted on October 10, 2008, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 2,338 times since then and 97 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 10, 2008, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.