Columbia in Richland County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Booker T. Washington School/Booker T. Washington High
Booker T. Washington School
The two-story main building at Booker T. Washington School, built in 1916, stood here until 1975. At first an elementary school with grades 1-10, it became Booker T. Washington High School with grades 9-10 in 1918, added grade 11 in 1924, and added grade 12 in 1947. Columbia’s only black high school from 1917 to 1948 and for many years the largest black high school in the state, it closed in 1974.
Booker T. Washington High
Booker T. Washington High, one of the first black high schools accredited by the S.C. Dept. of Education, was also one of the most significant institutions in Columbia’s black community for more than fifty years. Notable principals included C.A. Johnson, 1916-1931; J. Andrew Simmons, 1932-1945; and Harry B. Rutherford, 1950-1965. The University of S.C. bought the property in 1974 and demolished the main building in 1975.
Erected 2009 by Historic Columbia Foundation, the City of Columbia, and SC Department of Transportation. (Marker Number 40-164.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1916.
Location. 33° 59.586′ N, 81° 1.533′ W. Marker is in Columbia, South Carolina, in Richland County. Marker is on Wheat Street east of Sumter Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1400 Wheat Street, Columbia SC 29205, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Booker T. Washington High School (within shouting distance of this marker); Gladden Home Site (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Richard Theodore Greener (1844-1922) (approx. ¼ mile away); Blossom Street (approx. ¼ mile away); Site of Parade Ground (approx. 0.3 miles away); Mexican Border and World War Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Beth Shalom Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away); "Commissioners' Oak" (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbia.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 5, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 19, 2018. This page has been viewed 129 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 5, 2018. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.