Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbia in Richland County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

First Calvary Baptist Church

 
 
First Calvary Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
1. First Calvary Baptist Church Marker
Inscription.  First Calvary Baptist Church descended from African American congregants who left First Baptist Church following the Civil War. These founding members, like many African Americans at the time, sought greater autonomy by breaking from white-controlled churches. The congregation of First Calvary first organized under a brush arbor and later met in the home of Celia Mann, now the Mann-Simons Cottage. The congregation built a permanent home, a frame structure, on Richland St. c. 1870. They remained at that location until building a new stone sanctuary at Pine and Washington Sts., which was completed in 1950. After more than fifty years of useful service that church was replaced by a modern brick sanctuary, built on the same site as the 1950 building, which was dedicated in 2005.
 
Erected 2016 by First Calvary Baptist Church. (Marker Number 40-190.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansChurches & Religion.
 
Location. 34° 0.557′ N, 81° 1.133′ W. Marker is in
First Calvary Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
2. First Calvary Baptist Church Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
Columbia, South Carolina, in Richland County. Marker is at the intersection of Pine Street and Washington Street, on the left when traveling south on Pine Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1401 Pine Street, Columbia SC 29204, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Matthew J. Perry House (within shouting distance of this marker); Good Samaritan-Waverly Hospital (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Visanska-Starks House (about 500 feet away); Cyril O. Spann Medical Office (about 500 feet away); Waverly (about 600 feet away); Columbia Hospital "Negro Unit" / Columbia Hospital "Negro Nurses" (about 600 feet away); Allen University (about 700 feet away); The Lighthouse & Informer / John H. McCray (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbia.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 9, 2018. It was originally submitted on September 19, 2018. This page has been viewed 148 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 5, 2018. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=123489

Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jul. 1, 2022