Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Stevensville in Ravalli County, Montana — The American West (Mountains)
 

Denayer House

 
 
Denayer House and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, May 11, 2018
1. Denayer House and Marker
Inscription.  The DeNayer House is a fine example of transitional Queen Anne/Colonial Revival style architecture. The combination hipped and gabled roof and irregular floorplan are characteristic of the Queen Anne style while corner pilasters and clapboard siding clearly reveal transitional Colonial Revival style elements. In February of 1899, Dr. J. B. “Doc” DeNayer returned to Stevensville with his family to reopen his water-powered sawmill on the west side of the Bitterroot River. DeNayer’s wife, Julia, purchased these lots in 1899 and hired G. L. Martin, a local contractor, to build this residence. Construction began the following spring and the DeNayers moved into their fine new home in August, 1900. Two years later the DeNayers built a second residence just north of their home. In 1907, Mrs. DeNayer exchanged these properties for a business building owned by H. F. Hooper and planned to open a restaurant. The property changed hands several times until 1918, when Dr. William P. Reynolds bought the home. Reynolds and his wife, Winifred, were both medical doctors whose commendatory reputations were based, not only upon medical skills, but also
Denayer House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, May 11, 2018
2. Denayer House Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
upon their benevolent care, “…serving anyone, any time, and they were never overly concerned about a patient’s ability to pay.” The home remained in the Reynolds family until 1950. Over the years the residence suffered insensitive alterations, including removal of the original porch, removal of the bay window area on the first floor, and replacement of the wood shake roof with heavy asphalt shingles. Major restoration conducted during the early 1990s returned this marvelous home to its former place of honor on Main Street.
 
Erected by Montana Historical Society.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureIndustry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Montana National Register Sign Program series list.
 
Location. 46° 30.528′ N, 114° 5.64′ W. Marker is in Stevensville, Montana, in Ravalli County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (Eastside Highway (State Highway 269) and 4th Street, on the left when traveling south on Main Street (Eastside Highway. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 327 North Main Street, Stevensville MT 59870, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Porter & Buck Building (within shouting distance of this marker); First State Bank Building (about 400 feet away, measured
Denayer House image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, May 11, 2018
3. Denayer House
in a direct line); First Baptist Church (about 500 feet away); Henry Buck/Stevensville Trading Co (about 500 feet away); Thorton Building (about 600 feet away); IOOF Hall (about 600 feet away); Calvin and Magdalene Cook House (about 800 feet away); St. Mary's Mission Historic District (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stevensville.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 19, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 19, 2018, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 85 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 19, 2018, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=123509

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 14, 2021