Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Gonzales in Gonzales County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Presbyterian Church

of Gonzales

 
 
The Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry D. Moore, September 20, 2018
1. The Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription.  On February 29, 1852, the Presbyterian Church of Gonzales was constituted with eight charter members, led by the Rev. Joel T. Case. The Rev. John McRae served as the first permanent pastor and the congregation held worship services once a month in the local Baptist church. In 1875, the Presbyterian church completed its own building, and six years later, members established the first Sunday school with 62 pupils and 13 teachers. A new worship facility, completed in 1925, replaced the 1875 building, and the congregation has expanded its facilities since that time to meet the needs of the congregation's activities.
 
Erected 2002 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12612.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is February 29, 1852.
 
Location. 29° 30.025′ N, 97° 27.117′ W. Marker is in Gonzales, Texas, in Gonzales County. Marker is at the intersection of St. Louis Street (State Highway 146 Spur) and North St. Joseph Street (Business U.S. 183), on the right when traveling east on
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
St. Louis Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 414 St Louis Street, Gonzales TX 78629, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Military Plaza (here, next to this marker); Gonzales Courthouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); James W. Robinson (about 300 feet away); First Baptist Church of Gonzales (about 300 feet away); Plaza (about 400 feet away); Andrew Ponton (about 400 feet away); Church Square (about 400 feet away); Gonzales County Jail (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gonzales.
 
Gonzales Presbyterian Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry D. Moore, September 20, 2018
2. Gonzales Presbyterian Church and Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 28, 2018. It was originally submitted on September 23, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 154 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 23, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=123660

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 23, 2024