Rogers City in Presque Isle County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Site of Emil & Lizzie Poch Hardware Store
Historic Site No. 14
In 1925, the owners of Lee's Hardware in Alpena leased the building and bought out the Poch's inventory. They hired Art Krueger to manage the business for them. Krueger purchased the business from his bosses in 1928. Around 1940, he changed the name of the business to Krueger Hardware.
Krueger operated the business until his retirement in 1971. At that time, his long-time employee, Ervin Grulke, purchased the business. In 1973, the City purchased the business as part of its Urban Renewal Project, and in April of that year the building was demolished.
Erected 2011 by City of Rogers City & Vibrant Small Cities Initiative (VSCI) grant from MSHDA. (Marker Number 14.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1890.
Location. 45° 25.176′ N, 83° 48.938′ W. Marker is in Rogers City, Michigan, in Presque Isle County. Marker is at the intersection of North 3rd Street (Alternate U.S. 23) and Erie Street (State Highway 68), on the right when traveling north on North 3rd Street. Marker is located near the southeast corner of the intersection, facing North 3rd Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 146 East Erie Street, Rogers City MI 49779, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Port of Calcite Entry Light (here, next to this marker); Emergency Steering Wheel (a few steps from this marker); Site of Bertram Building (a few steps from this marker); Site of Gumm Furniture Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Rogers City's First Flour Mill (within shouting distance of this marker); Rogers City Post Office Site of Presque Isle County Savings Bank (about 400 feet away); Herman Hoeft & Son's General Store (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rogers City.
More about this marker. Marker is a large, painted metal plaque, mounted at eye-level on a post.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Rogers City Historic Walking Tour
Credits. This page was last revised on September 29, 2018. It was originally submitted on September 23, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 221 times since then and 70 times this year. Last updated on September 29, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 25, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.