East Tawas in Iosco County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
”Put oil in new Oil House, cleaned same.”
Lightkeeper Samuel Palmer, May 26, 1989
Fuel for the Tawas Point light was originally stored in an oil room in the keeper’s dwelling. During the 1870s the Lighthouse Service changed fuels from lard oil to highly flammable mineral oil (kerosene). But it was 1898 before Tawas lightkeepers had a separate storage building for their fuel.
A three-man crew from Detroit built the oil house in 4½ days in 1898. They used a design that had been used at Great Lakes light stations for more than 20 years.
Erected by Michigan Historical Center, Department of History, Arts and Libraries.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Communications • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Lighthouses series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1898.
Location. 44° 15.248′ N, 83° 26.983′ W. Marker is in East Tawas, Michigan, in Iosco County. Marker can be reached from Tawas Beach Road 3˝ miles east of U.S. 23. Marker Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 686 Tawas Beach Road, East Tawas MI 48730, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Tawas Lighthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Double Dwelling (within shouting distance of this marker); Tawas Point Light Station (within shouting distance of this marker); The Changing Shape of Tawas Point (within shouting distance of this marker); A New Light on the Horizon (within shouting distance of this marker); Preserving the Light (within shouting distance of this marker); Konotin-Iosco (approx. 3˝ miles away); Alabaster (approx. 6.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in East Tawas.
More about this marker. Marker is a large composite plaque, mounted horizontally on a waist-high post. This marker is sun-faded and somewhat difficult to read.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 8, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 29, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 88 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 2, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.