Bicentennial Covington #1
Historical Point of View
In 1907, Guido Alexius and his sons Alfred, Cintio and John, founded Alexius Brothers and Company; and later his son Horace joined in the business. In 1915, this landmark establishment, originally a gym, was purchased. Later in the 20th century, Guido's grandsons G.C. and Haller Alexius operated the hardware store at this location until 1985. In addition, portions of the land were donated by the Alexius family for the construction of the Covington Trailhead.
The Old Railroad Depot- The original depot faced New Hampshire Street with a passenger and freight terminal facing east. During the mid-1900s, the depot was moved one block to the present site (now a restaurant). The St. Tammany Special line left New Orleans at 4:30 p.m. and arrived in Covington at 6:15 p.m. It would leave Covington at 6:45 a.m. and arrive in New Orleans at 8:30 a.m. daily. This train was composed of elegant coaches and contained parlor buffet cars.
Erected 2013 by City of Covington.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars
Location. 30° 28.659′ N, 90° 5.777′ W. Marker is in Covington, Louisiana, in St. Tammany Parish. Marker is on East Lockwood Street west of North New Hampshire Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Covington LA 70433, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Public "Ox Lot" Parking (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Reconstruction Period (about 400 feet away); Covington (about 600 feet away); H.J. Smith and Sons Hardware and Museum (about 700 feet away); Courthouse Square and Historic Oaks (about 800 feet away); The Southern Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Covington Bank and Trust Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Columbia Street (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Covington.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 23, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 29, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 93 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 29, 2018.