Wyckoff in Bergen County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected about 1812 by John C. Stagg on site of earlier building owned by his father, Cornelius Stagg, a veteran of the Revolutionary War. The basement was operated as a grocery store for many years by John C. Stagg. His son, Albert, sold to Richard Terhune in 1846. Judge Nehemiah Millard, one of the area’s first railroad commuters to New York City, purchased house in 1868. It was later owned by the MacDonald family.
Erected by Bergen County Historical Society. (Marker Number 61.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the New Jersey, Bergen County Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1812.
Location. 40° 59.069′ N, 74° 10.268′ W. Marker is in Wyckoff, New Jersey, in Bergen County. Marker is on Sicomac Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wyckoff NJ 07481, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured Wyckoff Reformed Church (approx. 1˝ miles away); Lozier House (approx. 1.6 miles away); Van Voorhees – Quackenbush – Zabriskie House (approx. 1.8 miles away); Joseph H. Chapman Summer Residence (approx. 2.1 miles away); Hawthorne World War II Monument (approx. 2.3 miles away); Hawthorne World War I Monument (approx. 2.3 miles away); Hawthorne Korea – Vietnam Monument (approx. 2.3 miles away); Franklin Lake (approx. 2.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wyckoff.
Also see . . . Bergen County Historical Society. Society website homepage (Submitted on October 12, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 17, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 12, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,711 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 12, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.