Parkersburg in Wood County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Julia-Ann Square Historic District
Parkersburg, West Virginia
With the end of the Civil War, the opening of West Virginia’s oil and gas industry, the quickened pace of roads, railroads and rivers, and the influx of industry, the city’s population grew. The area just north of town which included Juliana and Ann Streets began filling with people who were the leaders of the community. The neighborhood of today is reasonably reflective of the period 1875-1915.
One sees the Queen Anne, Second Empire, and Colonial Revival elements in abundance in the district. Two architects known to have participated in development were William Howe Patton and R. H. Adair. Julia-Ann Square houses transcend Parkesrburg and present an environment of setting and style characteristic of an historic era.
Placed on the National Register of Historic Places, May 24, 1977.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is May 24, 1977.
Location. 39° 16.41′ N, 81° 33.31′ W. Marker is in Parkersburg, West Virginia, in Wood County. Marker is on Ann StreetTouch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Parkersburg WV 26101, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Peter G. Van Winkle (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sumner School / Robert W. Simmons (approx. ¼ mile away); Rotary Club of Parkersburg (approx. half a mile away); Parkersburg (approx. 0.6 miles away); Ohio / West Virginia (approx. 0.7 miles away); Jacob Beeson Blair (approx. 0.7 miles away); W.H. Smith Hardward Co (approx. 0.7 miles away); Creating West Virginia (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Parkersburg.
Also see . . . Wikipedia Entry. “It encompasses all houses on Ann and Juliana Streets from Riverview Cemetery to 9th Street. There are 116 contributing buildings and one contributing site. The majority of the houses were constructed between 1875 and 1915.” (Submitted on October 3, 2018, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 9, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 3, 2018, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 396 times since then and 206 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 3, 2018, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos of houses in the district • Photos of plaques on the other arches at the other entrances to the district (on their own pages) • Can you help?