Fort Pierre in Stanley County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Fort Pierre's economic boom came at a steep price. The Great Sioux Reservation had initially included all of the land in South Dakota west of the Missouri River and Euro-American settlement in the area was prohibited. By the late 1880s, over 11 million acres of reservation land had been thrown open to settlement, displacing many American Indians.
Images courtesy of the South Dakota State Historical Society.
Erected by The South Dakota State Historical Society; a Preserve America grant and the Dakota, Minnesota and Eastern Railroad Corporation.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1890.
Location. 44° 21.264′ N, 100° 22.263′ W. Marker is in Fort Pierre, South Dakota, in Stanley County. Marker is on Deadwood Street north of East Main Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Marker is located beside the sidewalk, on the west side of Deadwood Street, near the northeast corner of the subject building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 34 East Main Avenue, Fort Pierre SD 57532, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Fort Pierre Plain (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Lewis and Clark Expedition (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lewis and Clark First Sioux Nation Meeting (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lewis and Clark Encounter Teton Sioux (approx. 0.2 miles away); Verendrye Explorers (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Verendrye Site (approx. 0.4 miles away); Translation of the Verendrye PlateVerendrye Tablet Site (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Pierre.
More about this marker. Marker is a large composite plaque, mounted horizontally, on waist-high posts.
Also see . . .
1. Stockgrowers Bank. The Stockgrowers Bank is the single example of Romanesque Revival architecture in Fort Pierre. The building represents an interesting and well-executed adaptation of the style to the needs of the small frontier community and is the most important commercial building erected in Fort Pierre during the 20th century. The cut sandstone foundation, polygonal corner tower with ornamental festoons, decorative brickwork and arched windows with brick keystones set it apart from the other buildings in town. (Submitted on October 14, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Stockgrowers Bank. Charles L. Millett and his wife settled in Fort Pierre in 1890 when the Great Sioux Reservation opened to white settlement. They established squatter rights for their residence in April of that year and officially incorporated a banking enterprise at the corner of Deadwood and Main Streets, the future site of the Stockgrowers Bank. In 1903, Millett, along with Gaylord E. Sumner and James (Scotty) Philip, constructed the building and began the Stockgrowers Bank and (Submitted on October 14, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 2, 2018. It was originally submitted on October 11, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 51 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 14, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 6. submitted on October 30, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 7. submitted on October 14, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.