Edgefield in Edgefield County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Israel Mukashy Building
Prior to the fire of 1881, this was the site of the store and barroom of A.A. Clisby (1848-1916) where the infamous Booth-Toney Shootout of 1878 occurred. (See the that marker for further information.) The present building was built in 1891 by James M. Cobb (1849-1912), a longtime Edgefield merchant. Cobb had operated a dry goods business in Edgefield as early as 1870 and continued in business well into the 20th century. Prior to 1891 his business was located next door in The Corner Store.
Israel Mukashy (1882-1964), a Jewish merchant who had emigrated from Russia in 1905, occupied this building for many years. Beginning about 1908, Mukashy worked as a peddler out of Augusta, traveling in a one-horse wagon through the Edgefield countryside selling his wares. In 1911, when he first opened his store in Edgefield, he was described as a "successful merchant of Augusta." He was originally located on the north side of Main Street and then on Park Row, before moving to this location in 1920. He sold the business in 1950, but lived on in Edgefield with his wife, Mrs. Kate R. Marcus Mukashy (ob. 1984) until his death in 1964. Much beloved
In 1950 the Mukashy Department store, was sold to Mr. Joseph Vigodsky of Greenville and was operated under the name "Carolina Sales." At that time it came under the management of Mr. Archie E. Keesley, Sr. (1926-2000). Mr. Keesley operated the store for nearly a half century until his retirement in 1999. His contributions to the Town of Edgefield during his lifetime were manifold.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce.
Location. 33° 47.383′ N, 81° 55.75′ W. Marker is in Edgefield, South Carolina, in Edgefield County. Marker is on Courthouse Square, on the right when traveling west. Marker is on the extreme left side of the building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 102 Courthouse Square, Edgefield SC 29824, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Booth-Toney Shootout of 1878 (here, next to this marker); Turner's Country Store (here, next to this marker); Lynch Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Welcome to Historic Edgefield (within shouting distance of this marker); Governors and Lieutenant Governors from Edgefield (within shouting distance of this marker); The Jewish Merchants of Edgefield (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Welcome to Historic Edgefield (within shouting distance of this marker); Industrial History (within shouting distance of this marker); Religion & Education (within shouting distance of this marker); First Term of Court (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Edgefield.
Also see . . . Edgefield Historic District. As early as 1787, the village green near Court House Square was deeded to the town of Edgefield. (Submitted on October 14, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 13, 2019. It was originally submitted on October 14, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,244 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 14, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.