Culpeper in Culpeper County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
“Gallant” Pelham’s Last Days
The Virginia House and Shackelford House
Pelham earned a reputation as an artillery genius, and during the Battle of Fredericksburg, Gen. Robert E. Lee dubbed the young major the “Gallant Pelham.” On March 16, 1863, word of Union horsemen approaching Kelly’s Ford prompted a train to be sent south to Orange for more ammunition. Pelham, who was at the Orange depot, took the train back to Culpeper to join in the impending battle. The following day, the Battle of Kelly’s Ford was fought 10 miles east of here. Pelham was in the thick of the fray when a piece of shrapnel struck him in the back of the head. He was draped over his horse and taken to the Shackelford house. That evening, doctors removed the tiny piece of shrapnel, but Pelham died about 1 a.m. Stuart arrived soon after and wept over the body of his esteemed artillerist who had fought in 60 engagements and
Erected by Virginia Civil War Trails.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails series list.
Location. 38° 28.46′ N, 77° 59.739′ W. Marker is in Culpeper, Virginia, in Culpeper County. Marker is on North Main Street (Business U.S. 15), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Culpeper VA 22701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Gallant Pelham (within shouting distance of this marker); William "Extra Billy" Smith (within shouting distance of this marker); A.P. Hill's Boyhood Home (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Eppa Rixey Boyhood Home (about 500 feet away); Historic Antioch Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); A Tribute to Black Americans – Early 1900’s (approx. 0.2 miles away); Culpeper Court House (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Culpeper Court House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Culpeper.
More about this marker. On the marker's lower left is a photo captioned, The Virginia House Hotel, diagonally across the street, was built in 1846 and served as a popular gathering place for soldiers throughout the Civil War. The porches have since been enclosed. On the right side of the marker is a photo captioned, The home of Henry Shackelford, a prominent attorney, stood to your left, directly across the street from the Virginia House Hotel. The marker also features a portrait of Maj. John Pelham, C.S.A.
Also see . . .
1. John Pelham Biography. (Submitted on October 14, 2008.)
2. John Pelham Historical Association. (Submitted on October 14, 2008.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 14, 2008. This page has been viewed 1,960 times since then and 107 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 14, 2008. 4, 5. submitted on October 19, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.