Edgefield in Edgefield County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Turner's Country Store
The present building was built by J.M. Cobb (1849-1912), an Edgefield merchant, on this site in early 1885, following the devastating fire of 1884. Cobb operated his dry goods business here until 1891 when he moved to the larger building next door.
In the fall of 1900, W.H. Turner (1864-1916), and Edgefield native who had established his business in Edgefield as early as 1884, opened "The Corner Store" at this location. That business was owned and operated by the Turner family for almost a century.
In later years, Turner's son, Wiley H. "Bub" Turner, Jr. (1893-1959), and daughter-in-law, Gladys Lyon Turner (1900-1984), took over the Edgefield store. Under their capable leadership, "Turner's Country Store" became the leading department store in Edgefield, selling everything from dresses to furniture. In the 1940's and 1950's they undertook major modernizations and expansions of the store, extending the building
In the early 1960's, Mr. & Mrs. Turner's daughter, Margaret Sue Turner Jolly (1932-1991), and her husband, Clarence R. Jolly (1930-1986), came to Edgefield and took over the management of the store. Mr. Jolly was a remarkably talented merchant whose fashion flair extended the reach and reputation of The Corner Store across the region. It was in this period that Mrs. Mamie Eisenhower came here to shop while she was visiting in Augusta. Mr. Jolly also earned a region-wide reputation for his abilities in directing and promoting theatrical productions.
Mr. Jolly later changed the direction of his business to the selling of high fashion women's ware through "home shows" up and down the eastern seaboard. This building was the headquarters for his multi-million dollar sales company. After the death of Mr. Jolly, his wife and later his sons carried on the business until about 1993, completing over a century of retail sales in the Town of Edgefield by the Turner family.
Location. 33° 47.383′ N, 81° 55.75′ W. Marker is in Edgefield, South Carolina, in Edgefield County. Marker is on Courthouse Square. Marker is on the right extreme of the building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 Courthouse Square, Edgefield SC 29824, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Booth-Toney Shootout of 1878 (here, next to this marker); Israel Mukashy Building (here, next to this marker); Lynch Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Welcome to Historic Edgefield (within shouting distance of this marker); Governors and Lieutenant Governors from Edgefield (within shouting distance of this marker); The Jewish Merchants of Edgefield (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Welcome to Historic Edgefield (within shouting distance of this marker); Industrial History (within shouting distance of this marker); Religion & Education (within shouting distance of this marker); First Term of Court (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Edgefield.
Also see . . . Edgefield Historic District. As early as 1787, the village green near Court House Square was deeded to the town of Edgefield. (Submitted on October 14, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
More. Search the internet for Turner's Country Store.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 13, 2019. This page originally submitted on October 14, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,239 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 14, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.