The Historic Currier Neighborhood
The historic neighborhood in which Governor Currier and his wife lived was originally part of a city-wide development plan conceived by Manchester's major textile manufacturing concern, the Amoskeag Manufacturing Company, in the mid-1830s. Over a period of twenty years beginning in 1855, the company started to divest of hundreds of residential lots in the city. What set these blocks apart from any others in the city was that each contained a single lot of approximately 48,400 square feet. In 1863, Moody Currier bought the lot on which the museum now stands for $1,000. The Curriers built a large single-family house where they lived the rest of their lives. Moody
The John F. Kennard House (1867), a Second Empire-style frame house to the north of the Currier property, was purchased by the museum in 1939. It was utilized for over fifty years for the Currier's Art Center studio education programs, which are now located in a larger brick structure, the former Women's Aid Home, located one block southwest of the museum. During the preliminary stages of the 2007-2008 expansion project, the Kennard House was relocated to the southwest corner of Beech and Orange Streets.
Erected by the Currier Museum of Art.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1929.
Location. 42° 59.884′ N, 71° 27.331′
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ash Street School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Manchester NH General Pulaski Monument (approx. ¼ mile away); Manchester Spanish-American War Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Manchester NH Victory Park War Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Manchester NH Iwo Jima/Rene Gagnon Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Amoskeag Mills (approx. 0.6 miles away); City Hall (approx. 0.6 miles away); Manchester's First Green Roof (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Manchester.
Also see . . . Currier Museum of Art. Museum homepage (Submitted on October 15, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 25, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 15, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 67 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 15, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.