Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ann Arbor in Washtenaw County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Kempf House

 
 
Kempf House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, October 17, 2018
1. Kempf House Marker
Inscription.  
Cast iron grilles in an ancient Greek floral motif highlight the frieze of this temple-front Greek Revival house. Built in 1853 for Henry D. Bennett, Secretary and Steward of the University of Michigan, it became the home and studio of local musicians Reuben H. and Pauline Widemann Kempf in 1890. Trained in Germany, Mr. Kempf (1859-1945) taught piano and organ. Mrs. Kempf (1860-1953), a graduate of the Cincinnati Conservatory, taught voice. The City of Ann Arbor purchased the house in 1969, and in 1983 it became the Kempf House Center for Local History.
 
Erected 1988 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L236.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureEducation. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1853.
 
Location. 42° 16.734′ N, 83° 44.654′ W. Marker is in Ann Arbor, Michigan, in Washtenaw County. Marker is on South Division Street north of East William Street, on the left
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 312 S Division St, Ann Arbor MI 48104, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Residential Life in Mid-19th Century Ann Arbor (within shouting distance of this marker); At Home in the 19th Century (within shouting distance of this marker); The 19th-Century Neighborhood (within shouting distance of this marker); From Liveries to Taxis (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Uptown Theaters (about 600 feet away); Michigan Theatre (about 700 feet away); Antislavery Society (approx. 0.2 miles away); Central Title Service Building (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ann Arbor.
 
Also see . . .  The Remarkable History of the Kempf House. Article that appeared in the Ann Arbor Observer in May 1990. (Submitted on October 18, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.) 
 
Kempf House and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, October 17, 2018
2. Kempf House and Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 18, 2018. It was originally submitted on October 18, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 221 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 18, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=125085

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 23, 2024