Highland Township in Oakland County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Squire and Dolly Rowe, who settled here in 1835, built this elegant, cut fieldstone house in 1855. The solid cobblestone, beaded mortar joint construction is highlighted by the pleasing and sophisticated use of delicate scrollwork under the eaves and by the smooth chiseled quoins, lintels and sills. Squire Rowe grew to a position of prominence in the community. After twenty-five terms as Township Supervisor, he served in the state legislature in 1865, the year before his death.
Erected 1976 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number L351.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Government & Politics • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list.
Location. 42° 37.337′ N, 83° 38.861′ W. Marker is in Highland Township, Michigan, in Oakland County. Marker is on Lone Tree Road 1.6 miles west of South Milford Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for mapTouch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Village Of Highland Station (approx. 1.8 miles away); Priscilla Calkins Prior House (approx. 2.3 miles away); Pettibone Creek Mills (approx. 2.4 miles away); Hibbard Tavern (approx. 3.1 miles away); Pettibone Grist Mill 1846 (approx. 3.1 miles away); Milford at Work (approx. 3.1 miles away); Phelps Saw Mill and Distillery (approx. 3.2 miles away); A Ford Village Industry (approx. 3.2 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on October 20, 2018. It was originally submitted on October 20, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 81 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 20, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.