Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
South Columbus in Canal Winchester in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Ohio's Oldest Active School

 
 
Ohio's Oldest Active School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., October 13, 2008
1. Ohio's Oldest Active School Marker
Inscription.  
Ohio's Oldest Active School
1862 - 1987
125 years

 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EducationNotable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1862.
 
Location. 39° 50.446′ N, 82° 48.554′ W. Marker is in Canal Winchester, Ohio, in Franklin County. It is in South Columbus. Marker is at the intersection of Washington Street and Franklin Street, on the right when traveling south on Washington Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 122 Washington St, Canal Winchester OH 43110, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Canal Winchester School (1862 - 2007) (within shouting distance of this marker); Faith United Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Interurban Depot (approx. 0.2 miles away); Canal Winchester and the Ohio and Erie Canal (approx. 0.2 miles away); Stradley Place (approx. 0.2 miles away); Prentiss School No. 8 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Canal Winchester (approx. 0.4 miles away); Pvt. Alfred Cannon (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Canal Winchester.
 
Regarding Ohio's Oldest Active School.
Ohio's Oldest Active School and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., October 13, 2008
2. Ohio's Oldest Active School and Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
The building was part of Canal Winchester Middle School. A new middle school opened in 2007-2008, so the building is probably no longer an active school.
 
Dedication plaque nearby image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones (CC0), June 24, 2022
3. Dedication plaque nearby
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 3, 2023. It was originally submitted on October 15, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,421 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 15, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.   3. submitted on June 27, 2022, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=12531

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Feb. 3, 2023