Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lott in Falls County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Westphalia Little School

 
 
Westphalia Little School Texas Historical Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By QuesterMark, September 3, 2018
1. Westphalia Little School Texas Historical Marker
Inscription.  Plans for the establishment of a school to serve the German Catholic community of Westphalia began soon after the earliest settlers arrived here in 1879. Under the direction of the first trustees, Anton Jansing, Joseph Hoelscher,and Stanislaus Rollewitz, the school was set up to provide parochial and public instruction.

The Westphalia Little School opened in 1884. Early teachers were J. H. Pels; Professor A. Kechoff; Brother Stefan Geiser, CPPS; George Laloumoudiere; G. Horst Daniel; Joseph Henke; and Tim Sullivan.

The building was originally constructed as the Church of Visitation. After being heavily damaged by storms, it was remodeled in 1893 for use as the community schoolhouse.

In 1899 the Sisters of Divine Providence from Our Lady of the Lake Covent in San Antonio began teaching in the school. Although the parochial program ended in 1935, the Sisters have continued to serve in the public school.

Since 1884 Westphalia Little School has continued to offer area residents a quality educational program based on a cooperative effort between public and parochial instruction.
 
Erected
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
1982 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5772.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EducationSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1884.
 
Location. 31° 7.383′ N, 97° 7′ W. Marker is in Lott, Texas, in Falls County. Marker is on County Road 3000, 0.3 miles north of State Highway 320, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lott TX 76656, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Mary's Cemetery (a few steps from this marker); Church of the Visitation (within shouting distance of this marker); Saint Michael's Catholic Church (approx. 10.3 miles away); Roy Bedichek (approx. 13.9 miles away); Falls of the Brazos River (approx. 14˝ miles away); Eddy Methodist Church (approx. 14.6 miles away); First Baptist Church (approx. 14.6 miles away); Flowers House (approx. 14.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lott.
 
Little School Museum with Westphalia Little School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By QuesterMark, September 3, 2018
2. Little School Museum with Westphalia Little School Marker
Marker visible to the left.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 25, 2018. It was originally submitted on October 24, 2018, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 338 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 24, 2018, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=125359

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 20, 2024