Pescadero in San Mateo County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Methodist Episcopal Church of Pescadero
National Register of Historic Places Statement of Significance:
Building/structure dates: 1890 initial construction Significance: This streetscape illustrates the charming variety of nineteenth century architectural forms and styles which developed during a time of prosperity when the coastside town of Pescadero served as a major produce and lumber center and summer resort for San Francisco. Ranging in date from the 1860's to 1890's, these four wooden structures remain as representative residential, civic, and religious examples of indigenous coastside architecture. The sparing but effective use of such ornamentation as pierced columns, scroll and fan brackets, cresting, shingling, assorted fenestration and balustrades indicates a clear understanding of the styles of the time and their creative application to local needs. Although altered somewhat in appearance and usage, they accurately
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Notable Buildings • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1890.
Location. 37° 14.998′ N, 122° 22.949′ W. Marker is in Pescadero, California, in San Mateo County. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 108 San Gregorio Street/Stage Road, Pescadero CA 94060, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Methodist Episcopal Church of Pescadero (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Duarte's Tavern (about 700 feet away); First Congregational Church of Pescadero (approx. 0.3 miles away); Pigeon Point Light Station State Historic Park (approx. 4.7 miles away); A Bright Beacon (approx. 4.7 miles away); Pigeon Point Lighthouse (approx. 4.7 miles away); San Gregorio House (approx. 5.3 miles away); Apple Jack's Inn (approx. 7.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pescadero.
Regarding Methodist Episcopal Church of Pescadero. This building is now owned by the Native Sons of the Golden
Also see . . . Oakland Tribune-February 7, 2007 by Julia Scott. (Submitted on October 15, 2008, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 15, 2008, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,320 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 15, 2008, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. 5. submitted on April 5, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. 6. submitted on October 15, 2008, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.