Milford in Oakland County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Aaron Phelps, pioneer settler and first postmaster of Milford, built this Greek Revival residence between 1836 and 1838. It was one of the first frame structures erected in the village. New York immigrant Ira Hibbard purchased the house and transformed it into a tavern in the early 1840s. It served the Milford community for many years as a tavern, stagecoach inn and mail drop on the Pontiac-Howell stage line. During the 1860s, the tavern was converted back into a private residence.
Erected 1980 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number L650.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list.
Location. 42° 35.688′ N, 83° 35.984′ W. Marker is in Milford, Michigan, in Oakland County. Marker is on East Summit Street east of North Main Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pettibone Grist Mill 1846 (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Milford at Work (about 700 feet away); Wood-Hubbell House (approx. ¼ mile away); Milford Rural Agricultural School (approx. ¼ mile away); Motley Lights (approx. 0.3 miles away); A Ford Village Industry (approx. 0.4 miles away); Phelps Saw Mill and Distillery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Pettibone Creek Hydroelectric Station (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milford.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 26, 2018. It was originally submitted on October 25, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 77 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 25, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.