Woodbridge in Middlesex County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Parish Community of St. James
The history of St. James Roman Catholic Church began in the late 17th century, when many French and Irish immigrants were drawn to Woodbridge following the discovery of a fine type of potter’s clay in the area. With no church of their own, early Catholics attended masses held at private Woodbridge homes conducted by two Jesuits priests sent from New York. Church records date the first Woodbridge celebration of Holy Mass in 1683. As the Catholic community grew, many traveled to neighboring churches in Rahway and Perth Amboy.
In 1865, a small wood-frame catholic church was built along upper Main Street near Metuchen Avenue. In 1888, a second church was consecrated across the street, named for St. James the Younger, and incorporated as a parish in 1893. In 1924, the church was moved by tractor a half-mile east to the corner of Main Street and Amboy Avenue. 1924 also saw the opening of the present-day St. James School building; the school had been established in 1890 by the Sisters of Mercy by converting the original wood-frame church into a three-room schoolhouse.
In 1966, ground was broken
More information visit www.wthpc.org
Woodbridge Township Historic Preservation Commission
Mayor John E. McCormac Woodbridge Township 2013
Erected 2013 by Woodbridge Township Historic Preservation Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education. A significant historical date for this entry is June 23, 1968.
Location. 40° 33.36′ N, 74° 17.008′ W. Marker is in Woodbridge, New Jersey, in Middlesex County. Marker is at the intersection of Amboy Avenue and N Park Drive on Amboy Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Woodbridge NJ 07095, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Woodbridge (a few steps from this marker); Adath Israel Synagogue (within shouting distance of this marker); Cross Keys Tavern (within shouting distance of this marker); Revolutionary War Battles in Woodbridge (within shouting distance of this marker); Woodbridge Cloverleaf (within shouting distance of this marker); Shinn-Woodbridge Airport (within shouting distance of this marker); Methodist Episcopal Church & ParsonageWoodbridge Golden Bears (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Woodbridge.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 18, 2018. It was originally submitted on October 27, 2018, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. This page has been viewed 192 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 27, 2018, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. 3, 4. submitted on October 28, 2018, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. 5, 6. submitted on November 9, 2018, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.