Bellville in Austin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Brothers Thomas and James Bell came to this area from Florida in 1822 with Stephen F. Austin's colony and acquired about 2,000 acres of land in 1837. Thomas Bell offered a portion of his land at this site for a new townsite to replace San Felipe as the county seat; his offer was accepted by voters in 1846. Pioneers from such faraway places as England, Germany, Connecticut, Maryland and Georgia were drawn to the new town, which was platted in 1848 and soon called Bellville by popular vote. A courthouse and jail were erected in 1848 and Bellville's first hotel opened in 1849. Within ten years, the booming town boasted about fifteen businesses.
The Civil War left the town nearly deserted, and as in many similar Texas towns it was difficult to rebuild during the Reconstruction era. Positive growth began about 1877 as new business ventures took root. In 1880 the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway arrived in Bellville, and the population doubled rapidly. The Episcopal and German Methodist churches organized about 1881, and the Bellville Standard newspaper was established in 1882. A telephone company began operations and
Oil replaced cotton as the area's major industry in 1915 when black gold was discovered around Bellville. Development of local oil fields further spurred the town's growth and continued to help support Bellville throughout the 20th century.
Erected 1999 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11699.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1848.
Location. 29° 56.979′ N, 96° 15.492′ W. Marker is in Bellville, Texas, in Austin County. Marker is at the intersection of South Holland Street and West Luhn Street, on the right when traveling south on South Holland Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 30 South Holland Street, Bellville TX 77418, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Austin County Jail (within shouting distance of this marker); The Harigel House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First National Bank of Bellville (about 500 feet away); Site of First Bellville Masonic Lodge Building (about 600 feet away); Original Site of St. Mary's Episcopal ChurchEarly History of Bellville Methodist Church (about 700 feet away); E.O. Finn Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bellville General Hospital (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bellville.
Also see . . . Bellville, TX - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on October 29, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 29, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas. This page has been viewed 233 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on October 29, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas. 2. submitted on September 19, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.