Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Cuero in DeWitt County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Concrete College (1865 - 1881)

1/4 mile east to site of

 
 
Concrete College (1865 - 1881) Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry D. Moore, September 20, 2018
1. Concrete College (1865 - 1881) Marker
Inscription.  One of most respected schools in Texas in its day. Founded by the Rev. John Van Epps Covey (1821-1898), noted educator and minister. Embraced primary through collegiate levels, accepting only students over 12 years old for college work. Broad course offerings included classical and modern languages, penmanship, music (piano, guitar, violin, flute), plus homemaking and etiquette for girls. A well-attended business school taught bookkeeping, banking, commercial law, and letter-writing. Enrollment, including boarding and day students, averaged 100; peaked at 250 in 1873.

On weekdays pupils rose at 5 a.m., took a brisk walk before breakfast, heard devotional services, and went to classes. Nights were reserved for study and discussion, with "lights out" at 9 p.m. Gambling, liquor, smoking, and profanity were strictly forbidden.

Students wrote their lessons on slates, as paper was expensive, then recited them to the instructor. June graduation was the ceremonious occasion of public speeches and oral examinations.

In 1881 the college closed after epidemics broke out and the railroad bypassed town of Concrete. Years
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
later rock walls of main building were crushed and used to surface roads. Only rubble marks site today.
 
Erected 1971 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 1020.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1873.
 
Location. 29° 14.294′ N, 97° 17.584′ W. Marker is near Cuero, Texas, in DeWitt County. Marker is on U.S. 183, 0.2 miles Concrete Edgar Road (County Road 242), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cuero TX 77954, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dr. William Watt White (approx. 1.4 miles away); Stagecoach Inn (approx. 3.7 miles away); George Washington Davis (approx. 3.8 miles away); Mount Zion Baptist Church (approx. 4.1 miles away); Hochheim (approx. 4.3 miles away); Cuero I Archeological District (approx. 4.3 miles away); Hochheim Cemetery (approx. 4.6 miles away); St. Ann’s Cemetery (approx. 6.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cuero.
 
Concrete College Marker Area image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry D. Moore, September 20, 2018
2. Concrete College Marker Area
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 1, 2018. It was originally submitted on September 23, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 792 times since then and 136 times this year. Last updated on October 29, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 23, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=125622

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 18, 2024