Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Caldwell in Burleson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

City of Caldwell

 
 
	City of Caldwell Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans
1. City of Caldwell Marker
Inscription.  In 1840 the Republic of Texas Congress annexed to Milam County all of Washington County north of Yegua Creek and west of the Brazos River. The name Caldwell, which honored Mathew "Old Paint" Caldwell, a noted pioneer and a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence, was chosen for a settlement that would become the seat of a future county. Following a land title dispute, this site was selected for the proposed town. Located on the Old San Antonio Road, it had been settled earlier by Virginia native Lewis L. Chiles, a veteran of the Battle of San Jacinto who had operated a trading post on Davidson Creek.

George B. Erath platted the town of Caldwell in 1840. Streets running parallel to the Old San Antonio road were named for native animals and intersecting streets were named for the commissioners who had selected the townsite. When Burleson County was created six years later, Caldwell became the permanent seat of government.

Incorporated in 1891, Caldwell developed as a major agricultural shipping center with the completion of area rail lines in 1890 and 1912. Since the 1840s the city has played a vital role in the region
City of Caldwell Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans
2. City of Caldwell Marker
through its steady commercial growth and rich heritage.
 
Erected 1982 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7556.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
 
Location. 30° 31.914′ N, 96° 41.586′ W. Marker is in Caldwell, Texas, in Burleson County. Marker is at the intersection of West Buck Street and South Main Street (Loop State Highway 83), on the right when traveling west on West Buck Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 West Buck Street, Caldwell TX 77836, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Burleson County in World War II (here, next to this marker); Burleson County (a few steps from this marker); John Mitchell (a few steps from this marker); Early Settlers of Burleson County in the Texas War for Independence (within shouting distance of this marker); Burleson County, C.S.A. (within shouting distance of this marker); Caldwell National Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); Old City Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Burleson County (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Caldwell.
 
Also see . . .
1. City of Caldwell Website. (Submitted on June 11, 2014, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.

2. Caldwell, TX - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on October 30, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 2, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 11, 2014, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 400 times since then and 18 times this year. Last updated on October 30, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas. Photos:   1. submitted on June 11, 2014, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.   2. submitted on June 10, 2014, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Aug. 11, 2020