Woodbridge in Middlesex County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Transportation has loomed large in the history of Iselin. In pre-Colonial times, the area was crossed with east-west trails used by the Lenni Lenape people journeying between the Hudson and Delaware Rivers. In the 1770s, the corner of Green Street and Chain O’Hills Road hosted a travelers’ inn; starting in 1780, a stage from Elizabeth to Princeton ran through what was called Perrytown and later, Uniontown. In 1836, a train station was built as a stop on the Jersey City-Highland park line, presaging the 1971 opening of Metropark as a regional rail center.
In 1872, New York stockbroker and railroad president Adrian Iselin (1818-1905) bought property in Uniontown to establish a private women’s academy, the Adrian Institute, on Bloomfield Avenue. Shortly after, the railroad station serving Uniontown was renamed Iselin.
Aviation came to Woodbridge in 1925, when Shinn-Airways, Inc. built Shinn-Woodbridge Airport on 72 acres of Township land on the northeast corner of Oak Tree Road and Wood Avenue. in 1946, ex-Army pilot James Ruscoe bought the field and converted the airport from commercial aviation to serving privately-owned
The airport closed in 1951 when the land was acquired by developer Lester Robbins and made into the Woodbridge Oaks housing subdivision.
More information visit www.wthpc.org
Woodbridge Township Historic Preservation Commission
Mayor John E. McCormac Woodbridge Township 2013
Erected 2013 by Woodbridge Township Historic Preservation Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Air & Space. A significant historical year for this entry is 1780.
Location. 40° 33.384′ N, 74° 16.996′ W. Marker is in Woodbridge, New Jersey, in Middlesex County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Amboy Avenue and N Park Drive, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Woodbridge NJ 07095, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cross Keys Tavern (a few steps from this marker); Methodist Episcopal Church & Parsonage (a few steps from this marker); The Parish Community of St. James (within shouting distance of this marker); William Cutter HouseWoodbridge (within shouting distance of this marker); Fulton Street Neighborhood (within shouting distance of this marker); Adath Israel Synagogue (within shouting distance of this marker); Revolutionary War Battles in Woodbridge (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Woodbridge.
More about this marker. The maker is a the beginning of a footpath with several other waysides in Bernie Anderson Park.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 13, 2022. It was originally submitted on October 30, 2018, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. This page has been viewed 561 times since then and 20 times this year. Last updated on November 2, 2018, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 30, 2018, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.