Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Milton in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

White's Chapel United Methodist Church

 
 
White's Chapel United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, February 3, 2018
1. White's Chapel United Methodist Church Marker
Inscription.  Organized in 1838, a Methodist Society then called the "Coolspring Methodist Episcopal Meeting House" began holding meetings in a schoolhouse situated on a nearby farm owned by Mrs. Jane Warrington. Trustees were elected and incorporated "to build White's Chapel" named for Reverend Henry White, a presiding Elder who served the preaching circuit continuously until 1842. A quarter acre of land for the church site was donated by Samuel Paynter in 1839, and a meeting house measuring 18 x 24 feet was constructed later that same year. After this first structure was destroyed by fire circa 1871, additional adjacent land was purchased from Alfred C. Warrington in 1872 and a new church measuring 30 x 45 feet was constructed within the present-day church. The present church was constructed and dedicated in 1921 by District Superintendent W.R. Mowbray. Together with Conley's United Methodist Church, Zion United Methodist Church, and three other now-defunct churches, White's Chapel comprised of Nassau Circuit which operated until the early 1930s. As a member of the Peninsula-Delaware Conference, White's Chapel continues to serve the spiritual needs of its
White's Chapel United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, February 3, 2018
2. White's Chapel United Methodist Church Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
surrounding community.
 
Erected 2014 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number SC-235.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Delaware Public Archives series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1838.
 
Location. 38° 46.415′ N, 75° 13.395′ W. Marker is near Milton, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is on Coastal Highway (Delaware Route 1) north of Shell Drive, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 15297 Coastal Highway, Milton DE 19968, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Broadkiln Hundred (approx. 1˝ miles away); Cedar Creek Hundred (approx. 2.2 miles away); Cool Spring Presbyterian Church (approx. 2.7 miles away); Tapping the Power of Wind Energy in Coastal Delaware (approx. 3.3 miles away); University of Delaware (approx. 3˝ miles away); Zion United Methodist Church (approx. 3˝ miles away); The Coursey-Daisey Nanticoke Indian Burial Ground (approx. 3.6 miles away); Israel United Methodist Church (approx. 3.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milton.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 13, 2019. It was originally submitted on February 3, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 140 times since then and 14 times this year. Last updated on November 4, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 3, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=125876

Paid Advertisement
Jun. 24, 2021