Houston in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Presbyterian Church of Houston
This church was the first house of worship completed in Houston. Dedicated on Feb. 13, 1842, it was used for meeting of other denominations and groups. Here the House of Representatives met in summer of 1842, and President Sam Houston addressed a joint session of Congress. Thus the congregation repaid the Republic's hospitality of 1838-1839.
Original church burned 1862; a brick structure was built in 1867, and served until the erection of a large stone edifice, Main at McKinney, 1894. Fire destroyed part of that building in 1932. The present church was occupied in 1948 and dedicated Sept. 12, 1954. Through the years, this church body has furnished many outstanding leaders to the businesses
Erected 1970 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 10661.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 29° 43.624′ N, 95° 23.334′ W. Marker is in Houston, Texas, in Harris County. Marker is on South Main Street north of Binz Street, on the right when traveling south. The parking lot this marker was once located in no longer exists. The marker has been relocated across the road into the churchyard. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5300 South Main Street, Houston TX 77004, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Paul's United Methodist Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); W. L. and Susan Clayton (approx. 0.2 miles away); Holland Lodge No. 1 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Maurice Joseph Sullivan (approx. 0.2 miles away); Clayton House (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Garden Club of Houston (approx. 0.2 miles away); Southend Water Pumping Station (approx. 0.3 miles away); General Sam Houston (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Houston.
More about this marker. The parking lot were this marker was originally located in no longer exists. The marker has been relocated across the road into the churchyard.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 22, 2018. It was originally submitted on November 27, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 459 times since then and 19 times this year. Last updated on November 4, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas. Photos: 1. submitted on November 27, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. 2, 3. submitted on November 4, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas. 4. submitted on November 27, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.