Edgefield in Edgefield County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Edgefield County Confederate Monument
to the Memory
of their Confederate
Topics. This historical marker monument is listed in these topic lists: Military • War, US Civil.
Location. 33° 47.35′ N, 81° 55.767′ W. Marker is in Edgefield, South Carolina, in Edgefield County. Marker is in the center of county square. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Edgefield SC 29824, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Edgefield County Veterans Memorial (here, next to this marker); J. Strom Thurmond (within shouting distance of this marker); Welcome to Historic Edgefield (within shouting distance of this marker); Governors and Lieutenant Governors from Edgefield (within shouting distance of this marker); Lynch Building (within shouting distance of this marker); First Term of Court (within shouting distance of this marker); Edgefield County World War I Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Welcome to Historic Edgefield (within shouting distance of this marker); Martha M. Rich Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The Jewish Merchants of Edgefield (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Edgefield.
1. Edgefield County Confederate Monument
Almost immediately after the close of the War Between the States, the women of Edgefield planned to build a monument to commemorate the deeds of Edgefield's soldiers. Lucy Holcombe Pickens, widow of war-time Governor Francis Pickens, was president of both the Ladies' Memorial Association of Edgefield and the Maxcy Gregg Chapter, U.D.C., of Edgefield. By 1897, these two organizations, with help from the Confederate Veterans of Edgefield and the town council, had raised the $1600 needed and had chosen a site for the monument.
After the death of Lucy Pickens, Victoria Gary Evans, widow of Brigadier General Nathan George Evans, became president of the Maxcy Gregg Chapter. Under her administration, the women completed the work and planned the dedication. The U.D.C. originally scheduled the dedication for August 8,
At 11:30 a.m., the procession formed at the Episcopal Church and made its way to the town square. About 2,500 to 3,000 people, including many veterans, attended. The speaker's stand was decorated in red, white, and blue streamers, evergreens, and flowers. Nathan George Evans, a prominent Edgefield lawyer, commanded the Edgefield Hussars and introduced the speakers. The South Carolina Coeducational Institute Band provided music. General Matthew Calbraith Butler, "one of the most illustrious of the old guard speaking for his comrades," gave the opening remarks. He said, "Ladies of the Edgefield Memorial Association: After years of patient toil and effort, you have accomplished the object so near to your hearts, the erection of a monument on this historic public square to the soldiers of the Confederacy from Edgefield; and we have met today to unveil it." Twenty young ladies surrounded the monument as two of them drew the cords to unveil it. The rest of the ladies placed wreaths around its base. General Butler then completed his address. He commented on the monument's simple inscription, which records neither the names of Edgefield's Confederate dead not the long verse and prose seen on most other monuments of this size. "Its simplicity and durability," he said, "illustrate the rugged unaffected
The monument is a thirty-two-foot gray granite obelisk designed by local U.D.C. members and manufactured by Alexandria, Virginia Marble Works. The monument was placed originally at the head of Main Street at the entrance to the square on the eastern side. In 1924, the town council decided to pave the streets of Edgefield, leaving a small park in the center of town. "...[I]t was found almost necessary to move the monument to the center of this park so as to restore its original dignity, for being at the corner of the park, outside the curbing, the park had an unbalanced look and monument had lost the symmetry and grace of its original surrounding."
Throughout the early summer of 1924, the town council, townspeople, and Daughters of the Confederacy debated the move. In July, Helen S. Nicholson, president of the Edgefield Chapter, U.D.C., called a meeting of
— Submitted January 3, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 18, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,763 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 18, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 3. submitted on January 3, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 4. submitted on October 1, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 5, 6. submitted on January 3, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 7. submitted on November 23, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.