Woodbridge in Middlesex County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Revolutionary War Battles in Woodbridge
With Staten Island and Perth Amboy serving as Loyalist strongholds, British troops extended their reach into Middlesex County by occupying Woodbridge from December 2, 1776 to June 22, 1777. It is believed five Redcoat regiments were quartered at Trinity Episcopal Church, with the chapel serving as barracks and the rectory as a fort.
Like other colonists favoring “Independency”, Woodbridge residents formed a local Committee of Safety that directed insurgent operations against the British. Throughout the war, control of Woodbridge shifted between Loyalist and Rebel camps, with “villagers suffering much more from fear, foraging and personal molestation”, according to a contemporary source. It is estimated Woodbridge’s population during the War was around 3,000.
Woodbridge was the site of 14 recorded skirmishes – some kidnappings and raids upon personal property, others pitched battles between Rebel militia and British troops that resulted in significant dead and wounded. Battles occurred at Strawberry Hill in March 1777 and July 1778; a fight on the town’s northern locality of Spanktown on February
On June 26, 1777, the pivotal battle of Short Hill was precipitated in Woodbridge as local militia commanded by Capt. James Dark attacked the 5,000-man British army of Gen. Cornwallis making its way along Green Street and Oak Hill Road. The battle noise alerted Gen. George Washington, whose main army under Gen. William Alexander was waiting at Short Hills Tavern near present-day Old Raritan Road and Inman Avenue. A historic maker commemorating this battle stands at the corner of Oak Tree and New Dover Roads.
More information visit www.wthpc.org
Woodbridge Township Historic Preservation Commission
Mayor John E. McCormac Woodbridge Township 2013
Erected 2013 by Woodbridge Township Historic Preservation Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Patriots & Patriotism • War, US Revolutionary. A significant historical date for this entry is February 23, 1777.
Location. 40° 33.356′ N, 74° 17.037′ W. Marker is in Woodbridge, New Jersey, in Middlesex County. Marker is on N Park Drive near Amboy Avenue (Route Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Woodbridge NJ 07095, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Woodbridge (within shouting distance of this marker); Woodbridge Golden Bears (within shouting distance of this marker); The Parish Community of St. James (within shouting distance of this marker); Woodbridge Cloverleaf (within shouting distance of this marker); Adath Israel Synagogue (within shouting distance of this marker); Cross Keys Tavern (within shouting distance of this marker); Shinn-Woodbridge Airport (within shouting distance of this marker); Methodist Episcopal Church & Parsonage (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Woodbridge.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 16, 2018. It was originally submitted on November 15, 2018, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. This page has been viewed 475 times since then and 138 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 15, 2018, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.