Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Richmond in Fort Bend County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

City of Richmond

 
 
City of Richmond Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, November 17, 2018
1. City of Richmond Marker
Inscription.  

Area was settled in 1822 by members of Stephen F. Austin's colony, who first called their community "Fort Settlement." Earliest known burial was made by Wm. Morton, who donated land for Morton Cemetery. Town was formally laid out 1837 by land promoters R. E. Handy and Wm. Lusk, who named it for Richmond, Virginia. City was elected county seat in 1838.

Most famous resident was Mrs. Jane Long, "Mother of Texas," who ran Veranda Hotel and established a plantation here in 1837. She is buried in Morton Cemetery. Also in 1837 famous scout Erastus "Deaf" Smith died here and was buried in the city.

County purchased first courthouse in 1842; built a brick one in 1849. In 1855 an extension of the Buffalo Bayou, Brazos & Colorado Railroad (the first railroad in Texas) brought increased prosperity.

Vigorous saloon fighter Carry Nation operated the National Hotel here prior to moving to Kansas.

Her departure was connected with the "Jaybird-Woodpecker" political feud, which climaxed in a shootout around the Courthouse Square in 1889.

Another noted Richmond citizen, John M. Moore, led way in raising
City of Richmond Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, November 17, 2018
2. City of Richmond Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
quality of range cattle. Service in Legislature, 1896-1905, and U.S. Congress, 1905-1913.
 
Erected 1969 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 9059.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1822.
 
Location. 29° 34.823′ N, 95° 45.71′ W. Marker is in Richmond, Texas, in Fort Bend County. Marker is at the intersection of Houston Street and South 5th Street, on the right when traveling west on Houston Street. Marker is located on the grounds of the Fort Bend Museum. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 500 Houston Street, Richmond TX 77469, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Moore Home (within shouting distance of this marker); Erastus ("Deaf") Smith (within shouting distance of this marker); Deaf Smith (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Bend County Courthouse (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mirabeau Buonaparte Lamar (about 500 feet away); Constantine W. Buckley (about 600 feet away); The McFarlane House (about 600 feet away); St. John's United Methodist Church (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
 
Also see . . .  Richmond, TX - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on November 19, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.)
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 19, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 217 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 19, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=126518

Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jul. 3, 2022