Richmond in Fort Bend County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Erastus ("Deaf") Smith
(April 17, 1787 - November 30, 1837)
Most famous scout in Texas War for Independence. Obeyed Gen. Sam Houston's strategic order, then raised San Jacinto Battle Cry: "Fight for your lives! Vince's Bridge has been cut down."
A native of New York, Smith settled in 1821 in San Antonio. Trading in land and goods, he traveled Texas province, making him invaluable guide for Army during the War for Independence.
He married Guadalupe Ruiz Duran. They had three daughters.
Dying here in home of Randall Jones (a friend), he was buried in Calvary Churchyard, Houston at 6th. Grave is now unidentified.
Erected 1972 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 9065.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, Texas Independence.
Location. 29° 34.81′ N, 95° 45.741′ W. Marker is in Richmond, Texas, in Fort Bend County. Marker is at the intersection of Houston Street and South 6th Street, on the right when traveling west on Houston Street. Marker is located within the grounds of the Fort Bend Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 500 Houston Street, Richmond TX 77469, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Deaf Smith (here, next to this marker); City of Richmond (within shouting distance of this marker); Moore Home (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Bend County Courthouse (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mirabeau Buonaparte Lamar (about 600 feet away); The McFarlane House (about 700 feet away); Constantine W. Buckley (about 700 feet away); St. John's United Methodist Church (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
Regarding Erastus ("Deaf") Smith. While the exact location of Deaf Smith's grave is unknown, it is generally accepted that it is somewhere beneath the road near this marker, as this was a churchyard until the mid-1900s. The State of Texas erected a large monument to Smith in the churchyard in the 1930s but this was moved to the courthouse grounds when the church was razed and the streets widened.
Also see . . . Smith, Erastus [Deaf] - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on November 19, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 19, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 322 times since then and 69 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 19, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.