Hibbing in Saint Louis County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Simm Sue Building
112 Howard Street
The Remington Store, a Marshall Fields hardware distributorship, opened for business in 1929. C.A. Remington brought his family from Waconia, Minnesota in 1899. He worked for the Powers and Simson Logging Company, one of the largest logging and sawing operations in the Hibbing to Grand Rapids area. Their privately owned 28 mile long railroad serviced many logging camps and their large sawmill just west of Hibbing.
Remington founded the C.A. Remington Lumber Company in North Hibbing in 1901. He turned the business over to his two sons, Winfield A. and Raymond D. in 1920. The brothers split the company in 1927 forming the Remington Yards Lumber Company and the Remington Stores. Remington Yards, under R.D. Remington,
The Remington Store sold hardware, housewares, paints and appliances until the early 1960's. W.A. Remington was very active in civic affairs, serving as president of the Hibbing Chamber of Commerce, the Isaac Walton League and a number of other organizations. Other occupants including Team Electronics and Health Home and Hospital Supplies operated out of the building before Carpet Plaza purchased it in 1991.
Erected by Hibbing Kiwanis, Iron Range Research Center (IRRRB), Hibbing-Chisholm Rotary and Central Business Commission.
Location. 47° 25.638′ N, 92° 56.474′ W. Marker is in Hibbing, Minnesota, in Saint Louis County. Marker is on East Howard Street (Business U.S. 169) east of 1st Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Marker is mounted at eye-level, directly on the building currently at this location, facing East Howard Street. Marker is midway between 1st Avenue and 2nd Avenue, on the south side of East Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 112 East Howard Street, Hibbing MN 55746, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Congdon McIntyre Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hibbing City Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Donald Kozlik Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); The “Hup” (approx. ¾ mile away); Birthplace of Greyhound Lines (approx. ¾ mile away); Early Finnish Pioneers (approx. 0.9 miles away); Train Depot / Street Car Bridge (approx. one mile away); Finnish Workers Hall (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hibbing.
More about this marker. Marker is a large, laser-printed metal plaque, mounted in a wooden frame.
Regarding Simm Sue Building. East Howard Street Commercial Historic District, contributing property, National Register of Historic Places (1993)
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. East Howard Street Commercial Historic District
Also see . . . National Register of Historic Places Nomination. East Howard Street Commercial Historic District, a four-block business district with 34 contributing properties built 1919–1925, planned and executed by the Oliver Iron Mining Company upon relocating at Hibbing to expand its operations. (Submitted on November 23, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Simm Sue Building.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 26, 2018. This page originally submitted on November 22, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 73 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 23, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.