Giddings in Lee County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Presbyterian Church
Founded 1876, with thirteen charter members, under the direction of Rev. H. B. Burr and Rev. R. H. Byers.
Edifice designed and built in 1886 by the ruling elder, Frank Morris. Annex constructed in 1952. Oldest church building in Giddings in continuous use.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1967
Erected 1967 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 8150.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1886.
Location. 30° 10.912′ N, 96° 56.18′ W. Marker is in Giddings, Texas, in Lee County. Marker is at the intersection of South Grimes Street and East Hempstead Street, on the right when traveling north on South Grimes Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 192 South Grimes Street, Giddings TX 78942, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fletcher Home (within shouting distance of this marker); J. D. Giddings Lodge No. 280, A. F. & A. M. (within shouting distance of this marker); Lee County Courthouse (about 300 feet away, General Robert E. Lee / Colonel Robert E. Lee (about 300 feet away); Lee County (about 400 feet away); Milton Garrett York, Sr. (about 500 feet away); City of Giddings (about 500 feet away); First Baptist Church of Giddings (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Giddings.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 26, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas. This page has been viewed 137 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 26, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.