Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Woodbridge in Middlesex County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Cooper’s Dairy Farm

 
 
Cooper’s Dairy Farm Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry Gertner, October 20, 2018
1. Cooper’s Dairy Farm Marker
Inscription.  
Cooper’s Dairy Farm was established in 1925 by Mr. & Mrs. Frank Cooper, major contributors to the development of Iselin. Located at 221 Middlesex Turnpike, this parcel of land was originally purchased in 1858 by Cooper family ancestors as part of holdings encompassing most of today’s Metropark Train Station and nearby office complexes. The family home, built in 1931, served as the dairy’s offices. Dairy cows grazed in a pasture alongside the railroad tracks near the corner of Gill Lane and Middlesex Turnpike. The Coopers also owned farm in Hightown, which produced corn and hay transported to the Iselin dairy to feed the cows.

During its time of operation, Cooper’s Dairy was a prosperous business, producing creams, butter and fresh milk with advertising slogans such as “Pure Milk from out own Tuberculin Tested Cows” and "The Ideal After-School Refresher.” On July 20, 1966, a fire destroyed the Cooper’s cow barn, a disaster that caused the immediate decline of the dairy.

The Cooper home still stands along Middlesex Turnpike under new private ownership. An old stone monument, which once held a wagon wheel,
Cooper’s Dairy Farm Marker site image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry Gertner, October 20, 2018
2. Cooper’s Dairy Farm Marker site
The marker is the furthest one on this stretch of S Park Drive.
Click or scan to see
this page online
stands on the property. It was built by Mr. Thomas Miele of Iselin. Iselin landmarks Cooper’s Field, Cooper Avenue and Cooper Towers Senior Housing are named for the family.

More information visit www.wthpc.org
Woodbridge Township Historic Preservation Commission
Mayor John E. McCormac Woodbridge Township 2013 Cooper’s Dairy Farm
 
Erected 2013 by Woodbridge Township Historic Preservation Commission.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce.
 
Location. 40° 33.332′ N, 74° 17.441′ W. Marker is in Woodbridge, New Jersey, in Middlesex County. Marker is at the intersection of S Park Drive and Gorham Avenue, on the left when traveling east on S Park Drive. The marker is in the Marion and Norman Tanzman Recreational Area. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Woodbridge NJ 07095, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Anthony of Padua Parish, Port Reading (within shouting distance of this marker); Captain Henrik Kurt Carlsen (within shouting distance of this marker); Star Eagle Section (within shouting distance of this marker); Bloomfield House c. 1750 (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. Fred Albee & U.S. General Hospital No. 3 (within shouting distance
Inset image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry Gertner, October 20, 2018
3. Inset
of this marker); The Woman’s Club of Fords (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Colonia Triangle & Colonia Library (about 400 feet away); Henry Inman (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Woodbridge.
 
Inset image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry Gertner, October 20, 2018
4. Inset
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 27, 2018. It was originally submitted on November 26, 2018, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. This page has been viewed 544 times since then and 187 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 26, 2018, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=126772

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Sep. 25, 2022